The concept of “Integrated Logistics” defines a model within the supply chain that, as its name suggests, integrates the various service areas, processes, resources and flows of an organization, and then directs them in the same operational direction.
It is an interdepartmental service standard that synchronizes and simplifies the multiple processes of a logistics operator for the benefit of its customers, suppliers and other actors involved in the sector.
It was created to face the visible metamorphosis of the logistics market, which, in addition to being increasingly competitive, presents constant changes in its already high demand for services; for this reason, companies have taken on the task of implementing methods that optimize their operations, make them flexible to the customer and, at the same time, minimize prices, while maintaining quality control.
In pursuit of these new trends, it is imperative to use this model, the importance of which lies in the fact that it makes it possible:
- Early detection and/or correction of eventualities, thanks to the constant analysis of the company’s processes by all departments involved.
- Reduce logistics costs.
- A prompt response to today’s diverse service requirements.
- Growth into new logistics markets.
- Minimizing the impact on the environment and the search for sustainable options.
- Proper use of technological resources: satellite tracking, route planning, specialized software for process automation, etc.
An example of Integrated Logistics is the operational practices implemented by Altamira Terminal Multimodal in the Port of Altamira, Tamaulipas, Mexico.
Multimodal has developed, for 25 years, a unique business concept throughout the continent focused, through its various service areas, to increase the competitiveness of its customers. Its qualified personnel and state-of-the-art machinery work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in different shifts, to offer integral solutions to the diverse requirements that arise in the logistics value chain, thus honoring its slogan and continuing to make logistics that gives confidence!